Thursday, January 20, 2011

Should I Go To Dentist With Throat Infection

J, G, False friends

Un truc qui est drôle dans my world is that the bilingual pronociation "J" and "G" is reversed between English and French.

funny because just to reverse, we must remember the original, and with time, I do often.

The problem is attenuated by the canton of Vaud, because there are many who say 'iij' to 'J'.

But another thing I observed is that in both languages, pronciation of "Jesus" is also inverted to the pronunciation of "J". So Jesus

rhyme with "G" and Jesus rhyme with "G".

Obviously, when someone is being m'épeler their name on the phone, je n'ai pas vraiment le temps pour suivre tout ce raisonnement.
One wry factoid in my bilingual existence is that the pronunciation of "J" and "G" are swapped between French and English.

The thing is, I used to just remember "in French it's the opposite of the way it's supposed to be", but as time passes "the way it's supposed to be" becomes increasingly difficult to remember, and I find my self inverting the inversion.

Recently I came up with another mnemonic (if that's the word), which is that Jesus is pronounced 'wrong' in both languages.

In French, Jésus rhymes with "G" (so with an English "J"), and in English Jesus rhymes with G (so with year French J).

Obviously, that's a bit too much to sift-through my head When Someone's Dictating Their email address over-the phone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment